This is an abridged translation of a People’s Daily report originally published on the 1st of April 2019.
Every second of April is International Autism Day. The incidence of autism is getting higher around the world, causing tremendous liabilities to society and the economy. In China, the number of people with autism has exceeded 10 million; however, the formal autism rehabilitation system only covers 1.3% of the autistic population, leaving the remaining 98.7% with no standard rehabilitation treatment, which is a crucial problem.
Since the second of April this year, the National Autism Telemedicine Registration Platform is officially open to the public. The platform was established jointly by the Telemedicine Management and Training Center of the National Sanitation and Health Commission, the National Telemedicine and Internet Medicine Center, the Grassroots Telemedicine Development and Guidance Center of the National Sanitation and Health Commission, and the Beijing Jingyi Autism Children Rehabilitation Center.
Scan the QR code and access the National Autism Telemedicine Registration Platform
This is the first time that China implements a registration system for people with autism. Doctors, pharmacists, therapists, nurses and educational staff within the national telemedicine system will utilise the online national telemedicine Jingyi system and cooperate with the medical institutions and rehabilitation centers to provide a comprehensive range of treatment, care and rehabilitation training for people with autism. The system includes nine categories:
1. Medical evaluation including pathology, physiology, biochemistry, nutrition, genetics
2. Diagnosis and evaluation of fundamental diseases
3. Diagnosis and evaluation of autism
4. Clinical medicine treatment for various abnormal diseases
5. Medical rehabilitation treatment for children’s behaviour
6. Supporting treatment for children’s nutrition
7. Training and guidance regarding children’s growth and development for parents
8. Specialized training and education for children
9. Joint training and education with overseas autism rehabilitation institutions