China’s 2022 Government Work Report, released earlier this month, proposes to develop social work and support the healthy development of social organizations, humanitarian aid, volunteer services, and public welfare.
Meanwhile, new requirements have been put forward in many fields such as in the protection of women and children, rural revitalization, elderly care services, disaster prevention, disaster relief and emergency rescue, social services and mental healthcare, legal aid, and industry associations, which will have a significant impact on the development of social organizations in the future.
China Philanthropy Times identified nine trends concerning social organizations:
- Support for the healthy development of social organizations, humanitarian aid, volunteer services, and public welfare;
- Social work was, for the sixth time, included in the government work report, highlighting the increasing professionalism of social workers;
- Calls for a crackdown on the abduction and trafficking of women and children, responding to recent widespread public concern;
- Calls for help from all sectors of society to promote rural revitalization;
- Encouragement for the participation of social organizations in elderly care services;
- Improvement urged for disaster prevention, mitigation, relief and emergency rescue capabilities;
- Increased coverage for mental health services in all areas of society;
- Strengthened public legal services and legal aid;
- Calls for a further review and standardization of the fees charged by industry associations, chambers of commerce and intermediary agencies.