The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. For two decades, NRDC has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 people based in our Beijing office, the NRDC China Program has worked hard at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that conserve natural resources, curb pollution, and accelerate China's transition to a clean, low-carbon economy. NRDC's Beijing Representative Office is registered under the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the National Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
NRDC is seeking a Nature Conservation Senior Project Manager to work with the nature team in our Beijing office. This Manager will work closely with the nature and international teams to develop biodiversity conservation opportunities and advance nature conservation and climate mitigation efforts within China and internationally. The Manager’s work will cover a broad spectrum of activities ranging from conducting technical and advisory analyses, to leading a field conservation project, to presenting project results at conferences. The Manager will work with both China and U.S.-based team members and report to the China Conservation Director.
· Work with the team to develop and implement nature conservation strategies and projects in alignment with biodiversity, climate mitigation, and other NRDC priorities.
· Meet regularly with Chinese and international officials to provide NRDC’s perspective on biodiversity issues and, ideally, develop joint efforts to conserve nature;
· Advocate in furtherance of NRDC’s nature and climate goals with government officials, scientists, and others from various countries at international and domestic meetings;
· Develop and write reports for NRDC analyzing Chinese law, policies, and practices concerning biodiversity protection;
· Organize and attend relevant meetings, symposia, and conferences;
· Develop fact sheets, blogs, and other materials on Nature conservation in Chinese and translate documents from Chinese to English and from English to Chinese, as needed;
· Work with senior staff in fundraising, grant management and reporting;
· Other related duties assigned by the team.
· Advanced degree in biodiversity or related environmental/natural resource studies;
· A substantive working experience in Chinese and international biodiversity and natural resource protection and management;
· Excellent research, writing, communication, and analytical skills.
· Experience working with Chinese government agencies;
· Ability to communicate effectively with various stakeholders (government, research institutes, other NGOs, industry, and local communities);
· Fluency in English and Chinese, with excellent oral and written and translation skills;
· Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience;
· Self-motivated with a strong work ethic;
· Ability to work independently and as part of the team, with flexibility in taking international calls at odd hours.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications NRDC receives, we will only contact candidates we would like to progress through the search process. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes, or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org and www.nrdc.cn.