Location of Position: 1-7-1, Tayuan Diplomatic Building, No.14 Liangmahe South Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100600
The position is responsible for promoting awareness of all IFAW’s projects and campaigns in China, and increase IFAW Asia’s programs’ visibility and help to generate funding opportunities abroad through working together with global COMMS colleagues. The position requires both proactive and reactive initiative, and requires a capacity to shape opinion.
• Assist Communications Manager to develop, maintain and share a detailed editorial calendar of proposed stories with deadlines for delivery, for use across all IFAW channels, to include written articles, video and photography. Responsible for content development quality, ensure compliance with communication requirements and prevent the potential crisis.
• Act as writer, deliver well-written, engaging stories, blogs, news updates, press releases – approved for use – to a fixed deadline.
• Contribute to the formulation of strategy – present guidance to campaigners as to which initiatives might be likely to attract media coverage. Garner coverage for those initiatives. Engage in long-term planning to ensure maximum impact at critical times.
• Develop and implement a strategic social media communications plan to promote and create awareness of IFAW Asia’s programs and campaigns. Oversee the day-to-day operation of IFAW social media.
• Assist Communications Manager to work with IFAW’s global web management team to ensure that IFAW’s activities in China and other related information are posted quickly and accurately to the IFAW public website, in support of IFAW programs.
• Assist with the production, promotion, and distribution of Video News Releases (VNRs), Audio News Releases (ANRs) and other media material as needed and requested to promote IFAW campaigns and issues to media.
• Monitor, on a daily basis, important media resources in China and react immediately to unexpected events, relate relevant coverage to colleagues, and proactively contact journalists, editors and producers to ensure IFAW is always first with appropriate comment and analysis.
• Provide day-to-day response to enquiries from representatives of the media sourcing information and acting as an advocate, where appropriate, for the organization. Respond to claims made by opponents and challenge negative coverage.
• Work with Communications Assistant to move images quickly and effectively to media as needed, to promote IFAW’s campaigns and projects in China.
• Organize media visits, interviews and press events to create positive media coverage about IFAW programs and the organization, and ensures that IFAW’s values are effectively communicated to journalists, supporters and other stakeholders in China;
• Assist Communications Manager to establish and nurture relationships with members of the media, presenting a positive image of IFAW. Maintain an up-to-date database of Chinese media contacts and media distribution lists for IFAW’s key campaigns and issues.
• Promote IFAW spokespeople, ensuring the organization is called upon to comment where and when relevant issues are raised. Act as a contact between the media and IFAW spokespeople. Set up interviews for IFAW experts and key spokespeople with media outlets as needed and requested.
• Create regular Chinese media reports on IFAW coverage, campaign issues, etc. as requested by the Country Director and Communications Manager, program areas, departments, and HQ Global Media & Communications.
• Ensure effective monitoring of Regional social media channels and timely production of analysis reports.
• Execute the creation, production, promotion, and distribution of materials as needed and requested to promote IFAW campaigns and raise brand awareness.
• Assist communications manager to maintain up-to-date knowledge and analysis of domestic and foreign affairs situations, politically sensitive information etc., maintain a practical guidance regularly.
• Assist Communications Manager to plan, implement and monitor allocated budgets.
• Undertake other duties consistent with the post when required.
• Minimum five years’ experience working in a similar position or in a regional/ national media outlet.
• Experience of scheduling and budgeting.
• Ability to plan strategically and to prioritize projects.
• Excellent writing and speaking abilities in both English and Chinese, preferably with journalistic training or experience.
• An ability to digest complicated information and to then present it in a simplified form.
• A sound understanding of the Chinese media market and how the media operates.
• Experience in maintaining electronic databases of media information – contacts and press clippings.
• Commitment to animal welfare, enthusiasm in promoting IFAW’s values and an ability to act as an advocate for IFAW’s campaigns and mission.
• A willingness to embrace new technologies for the purposes of attaining evidence for campaigns or for acquiring and disseminating information.
• Excellent organizational ability with attention to detail.
• A willingness to work long hours and to travel at short notice. Professional demeanor and attire.
• Able to work alone as well as with others in a team.